Saturday, July 31, 2010

Saturday, July 31

In Bruges

This post is full of lessons, so read carefully and take notes if you must. We arrived in Bruges today at around 2:00 with nothing to do but everything—an empty appointment book and a proverbial full tank of gas. The movie In Bruges got it exactly right, the place is “a fuckin’ fairy tale town.” Brick roads, castle-like buildings, quaint shops, and a huge clock tower make Bruges a cozy little place. Colin Ferrell says of it, “If I grew up on a farm and was retarded, Bruges might impress me but I didn’t so it doesn't.” While those profound words have some truth to them, Bruges was still a nice stop. (Lesson 1: You don't call retarded people retards. It’s bad taste. You call your friends retards when they’re acting retarded). We had authentic Belgian waffles, climbed the clock tower, and visited a church that had drops of Christ’s blood. (Lesson 2: Legend has is that the phial that contains Jesus' blood was brought to Bruges by Thierry of Alsace after the Second Crusade. During great moments of stress throughout history, it is said that the blood has temporarily turned back into liquid from its dried state).
Afterward we took the train to Brussels where we were sourly disappointed not to find any Mussels in Brussels. I did, however get a great footlong sandwich and mayo-fries (Lesson 3: They love smothering French fries in mayo here, it’s actually not too bad) for four Euro. If that’s not a deal, I don’t know what is. However, other than cheap dinners, Brussels pretty much has nothing going for it. It's a pretty run down city without much to do (it took a while to even find a place to eat that was open). Maybe if I was retarded and grew up on a farm, Brussels would impress me, but I'm not, and I didn't, so it doesn't (see what I did there? That can be Lesson 4).
Anyways, tomorrow at 7:25 am it's off to Munich to visit old friends. I'll update the next time I get internet.

Pictures: View of the "Markt" from the top of the tower, The Basilica of the Holy Blood, LEGIT Belgian Waffles, Me in the Markt, Us on the top of the tower





No comments:

Post a Comment