Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Saturday, August 7

Venice

Max here (aka Lord of the Dance): After our train ride was conveniently changed to arrive in Venice at 3:40 am, we found ourselves with nothing to do, but sleep in the tunnel leading to the main terminal, which was closed. Other backpackers and bums were getting some shuteye. Pete popped his backpack on the ground, rolled over, and passed out. Being the more responsible character I am, I stayed awake and watched as rando's passed, keeping an eye on sleeping beauty. It struck 5:30 and I decided a warmer shelter was in need. Like most Americans, especially Wies, we started our day at McDonalds. Once the sun finally showed up we went into town to receive the first breakfast at an outdoor cafe. Off to St. Mark's Square, we thought, but the Venice streets were narrow and very misleading. After a solid wander-sesh and a few loser laps, we arrived. More food was on our minds after a long journey and a few kinks in our backs. Peter munched a raw ham sandwich (gross) and I took down some za. Next was to see the Grand Canal leading into the ocean. Watching the sun light up the boats and ports as the day went along, "made me realize something. The weather is amazing, even the birds are bumping." So we lugged our bags back to the square to feed the silly pigeons. Silly, they were, because without even feeding them one perched on my backpack. Peter giggled up a storm as we played like 4-year olds with these birds. Since it was only 10 am after our bird sesh (remember we started our day at 5:30) we left to check out the sites--the St Mark's Basilica, the Peggy Guggenheim Museum, and the classic Venice bridges. On the way, pizza and gelati was a big hit and kept us going under the hot sun.
Pizza was primo--thin crust, but not too crispy like at V in Westport, chewy and tastey. An excellent snack by all means. Gelati is just as legitt, sweet and creamy with a sprinkle of Italian love. Trying to follow the canal was a challenge because of dead ends, so we would hit a pier every now and then. Two tall logs standing vertical in the canal as boat cleats struck my eye and I felt the need to climb and so I did. I'm about to fully stand up and I get the wobbles. I think to myself "I'm about to take a dip." Luckily I hop off and stomp the landing. Lastly, we wanted to get on the water because that's what Venice is all about. A ferry ride up the Grand Canal to the train station ended our Venice voyage.

Pictures: Us at the waterfront, Me gazing into the Grand Canal, Me balancing, Peter on a canal, Peter with a bird.





No comments:

Post a Comment